Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

ROMEO AND JULIET IN YIDDISH

Neither can I speak or read Yiddish, nor can I understand (nor speak) Shakesperian English, however, in my usual disregard for common sense I went to see this movie (mainly because the time it went on suited my schedule that day).  It was on Mothers' Day, and the theater was nearly filled.   The story was of a nurse, who had to get the famous "Romeo and Juliet" translated into Yiddish for some term paper, or Thesis, or Dissertation (already an absurd premise) so she hires three or four young men who ( if they had been of a different religion, would be called "lapsed Catholics") were formerly Orthodox Jews to help her.  Apparently there are two different styles or types of Yiddish, one more voluminous than the other.  Anyway, our story takes place in Brooklyn, present day, and veers dizzyingly back and forth from the original in Italy to the current scene.  The photography (Really, do I HAVE to say "Cinematography"?-- when the credits roll, it only shows "Photography by....."). was marvelous.  Artistically it was worth watching.  But it was so confusing that neither I, nor my movie companion were sure what was happening when or where.  The rest of the audience seemed to be very appreciative. There were subtitles for the Yiddish, but I could barely hear the English when it was spoken.  The Director was a woman: Eve Annenberg who also played a dual role as Ava and the Nurse, and was one of the 6 or 8 Producers.  It was an adventure I do not regret, but cannot say that I would recommend to anyone who is not either familiar with Yiddish or is a Shakespeare scholar.  (I did recognize a few famous catch phrases.)

No comments:

Post a Comment