Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

LOOPER

If I were to review this film only on the merits of the performances, I would give it the highest praise.   Unfortunately, as great as the actors were (and they were each and all marvelous) the movie otherwise was a disappointment.  Based on a clever premise (time-travel, assassins, known as "loopers," who are hired to find and kill marks when they travel into the future) the movie failed to fulfill its premise, and instead presented a confusing, dismal mish-mash of ultra violent (almost to the point of absurdity) version of the future.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt (young "looper," contemporary "Joe"; Bruce Willis future, older "Joe"; Jeff Daniels (elderly evil guy in charge of giving out termination assignments), Paul Dano ( a "looper" who has botched an assignment, seeks refuge with young "Joe"); Emily Blunt ("mother" or not?  of little boy, "Cid" played ferociously by 5 year old Pierce Gagnon), comprise the killer cast (most of them literally killers, except the women).  Even Piper Perabo ( star of the excellent TV series, "Covert Affairs") has a brief appearance as a dancing girl (stripper). One of the scenes between Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, in which they are  having a conversation (the young and the older version of the same entity!) sitting across from each other in a restaurant is positively sensational! Dialogue in it is a classic.  Written and Directed by Rian Johnson,  I apologize for not giving him credit for the what's good in the movie, but, I guess he also  has to  own what's wrong with it.  I almost forgot, I liked the surprise ending!   Let me know if you like it, too, when you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment