Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

"My Afternoons with Margueritte"

(FYI: No, I didn't see two films today, I just didn't get around to writing about this one until now.)  Starring one of my all-time favorites, Gerard Depardieu,  cast as "Germain," the  unlikely park bench companion for delicate, elderly (95 year old?) "Margueritte," perfectly played by (or as they say, the role of "Margueritte" was "inhabited by")  Gisele Casadesus. That "Germain" is nearly illiterate, and "Margueritte" is highly educated sets the scene for the story of their evolving friendship. She reads aloud to him, and thus invites him into the world of sophisticated ideas captured by the written word. You've just got to love both of these special people!  (Depardieu more than ever in this film!)   It's not going to be a blockbuster, it's a sensitive, subtle, quietly charming tale of soul to soul connection -- you can call it love, if you wish. Kudos to Jean Becker, the Director, whose light touch allowed these two great actors to just be their great selves!

No comments:

Post a Comment