Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame

Very Chinese, very noisy, extremely violent, confusing plot.  Subtitles help, but not enough to figure out for sure who are the good guys, and who are the bad guys.  Excellent photography, though. Lots of improbable,  if not impossible,  spectacular martial arts leaps and bounds and catches made with perhaps just one talented toe. There is an evil (is she really?) Queen, who becomes the first, and only woman Emperor of China.   A huge statue of Buddha, and of course, the famous Detective Dee, who sometimes has a beard, and sometimes hasn't. Oh, I almost forgot, the "Phantom Flame" refers to the mystery DD is hired to solve: why several people catch fire from the inside out and within seconds are reduced to ashes.  Not a pretty sight.  I found the film actually rather tedious after a while, but then, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment