Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

CORIOLANUS

WOW!  This isn't Shakespeare in the park,  this is Shakespeare's language (his words) in a modern day setting, including  news reports on Television sets, armored tanks, and soldiers armed with machine guns.  Ralph Fiennes is fantastic, An undeliable acting tour de force. Usually Shakespearan actors enunciate very clearly (as did Fiennes and Brian Cox, another worthy actor.) Gerard Butler's accent was a bit difficult for me. Unfortunately that great actress, Vanessa Redgrave, as Coreolanus' mother seemed to swallow her words.  She was nevertheless magnificent, her very presence is commanding , but I wish I could have heard what she was saying!  (Yes, I know my hearing is not good, but even so...) Anyway, lots of brutal, battle scenes, including bloody hand to hand combat.  Quite an exceptional film, will surely get Fiennes an Oscar nod.  Oh, and Fiennes also Directed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment