Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

THE MASTER

Apparently the guidelines for rating a film "R" allow for excessive full frontal nudity, and scenes of sexual intercourse. I guess I'm too old fashioned to appreciate the inclusion of a dozen  naked women dancing and prancing around, etc, etc, so despite the critics overwhelming praise for "The Master" - I can't join their ranks of rave reviews.  Yes, the performance of Juaquin Phoenix as a painfully disturbed (psychotic), violent war vet was Oscar worthy (though he does tend to mumble a bit, when he's not screaming) and Philiip Seymour Hoffman fills his title role expertly. Amy Adams as the pregnant wife of "The Master" was, as always, wonderful. But Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson,  I found this movie just too painful. Certainly not my idea of "entertainment."  Whether or not (most likely) it was an attempt to portray the charismatic and controversial L. Ron Hubbard, creator of Dianetics (and his entourage) is rather beside the point as far as I'm concerned.  Who enjoys spending two hours and 20 minutes with such insane people?  Apparently the critics did.  I did not. ( At least not in this lifetime).

No comments:

Post a Comment