Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Friday, May 24, 2013

CLEOPATRA

It is said that Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton fell in love while starring in the movie "Cleopatra."  When I saw it the other day (re-released celebrating its 50th Anniversary), I could certainly believe it!   Wow, what a film!  What I didn't know in advance was that it ran for four hours (plus a fifteen minute intermission half-way through.)   A real epic extravaganza, with hundreds of extras cast as members of the Legions of Rome, and of course there are battles with Egypt as the home ground for Cleo.   Sadly, in the end,she does die of the fatal bite of asps, when she receives a false report that Antony is dead.  He finds her resplendent in her best finery lying atop her tomb and of course manages (with a little help from a friend) to kill himself in despair.   I noted that in addition to being gorgeous,  ET was actually  a  good actress.  And each of Burton's syllables were enunciated pitch perfectly! I hope you get a chance to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment