Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

TRISHNA

Unfortunately, I had not read the famous Victorian novel by Thomas Hardy, "Tess of the D'Ubervilles," upon which this disgusting film was patterned.  Taking place in India, with all the authentic noise, color, confusion, and dizzying rickshaw rides through hordes of people, animals and buses that characterize the experience of the big cities, as well as the bleak and dismal small villages accurately portrayed (as I recall), Director Michael Winterbottom has liberally included a plethora (great word!) of  graphic sex scenes throughout, starting with those of mutual passion and desire to those of dissolute exploitation and  cruelty.   SPOILER ALERT:    I was hoping that Trishna would kill "Jay, "her employer and torturer (that's why I didn't walk out of the theater) and was delighted when she finally did.  And then, of course (?) at the end, she commits suicide.   Ghastly film.

No comments:

Post a Comment