Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Page One

Not to be confused with the 1928 Broadway comedy, "Front Page," written by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur  (later made into a 1931 film starring Pat O'Brien and Adolph Menjou, plus another version with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau), "Page One: AYear Inside the New York Times" is a fascinating documentary with exceptiionally revealing interviews with David Carr, Brian Stelter and Tim Arango among others. Directed by Andrew Rossi, "Page One" covers the inside world of reporting, editing, and the print Jouralism vs all the modern day devices that the Internet has spawned. It includes an interesting segment about the whole WikiLeaks situation - including  interviews with its founder.  It is, of course concerned about the possible demise of Newspapers from the financial crises they have been suffering, due to lack of Advertising revenues, as well as the competition presented by all the electronic sources for 'news.'  - I really appreciated this movie.  I  am still firmly attached to the Los Angeles Times delivered daily to  my front door, and books in hard copy  (despite my Kindle).   "Page One" gave me a greater understanding  of the complexity of what it takes to put together a first class Newspaper like the New York Times.  I heartily recommend it. FOUR STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment