Read My Older Blog Posts here

Visit my previous Blog "Movies and More: Positively Personal Reviews" for my earlier (pre-May 2011) reviews and ramblings.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Guard

Remember "In Bruges" ? Well here's the incorrigable Brendan Gleeson again. This time he plays "Sgt. Gerry Boyle," small town very Irish cop, paired with Don Cheadle, playing an FBI agent. This unlikely "team" is dealing with 1/2 billion dollars worth of drugs being loaded onto a ship, a missing, presumed dead young policeman, three evil drug traffickers, police corruption, charming prostitues, and Boyle's surprisingly sweet relationship with his dying mother in the mix.  In the sold-out theater I was in today, the audience laughed almost non-stop and I did my share (when I could understand the Irish accents).  As the FBI agent remarks to Boyle, "You're either very stupid, or very smart."  John Michael McDonagh both wrote and directed this quirky, fun, fast moving film.

No comments:

Post a Comment